Like many sports, shorts are an essential piece of equipment used in volleyball. They are a part of every uniform and are worn by every player on the court. Volleyball shorts provide optimal performance benefits for volleyball players, and come in a few different types.
What are volleyball shorts used for?
Volleyball shorts are specifically designed for the game of volleyball. They can be loose or tight depending on the league. Some volleyball shorts resemble shorts from other sports such as basketball or lacrosse, but they are often shorter and lighter. Women's volleyball typically uses tighter fitting volleyball shorts, whereas men use more loose-fitting shorts. The best volleyball shorts will offer a wide range of motion while also providing breathability and comfort.
Volleyball shorts will usually have a similar design to a team's color scheme or jersey pattern. They can sometimes have the team's logo or a player's number as well. Most player's will have different shorts for games and practice, with practice shorts sporting a wider variety of styles and colors.
Things To Consider
When looking for volleyball shorts, you'll want to consider the following:
- What size volleyball shorts do you need?
- How much do you want to spend on volleyball shorts?
- What type of volleyball shorts are most comfortable for you?
- Do you want a certain color or brand?
The main types of volleyball shorts are spandex and loose-fitting.
Spandex Volleyball Shorts
Spandex volleyball shorts are very short and tight-fitting. They are typically black, but can also be a variety of different colors. These shorts are more conforming than loose-fitting shorts and prevent loose fabric from getting in the way. These are usually worn in women's volleyball.
Loose-Fitting Volleyball Shorts
Loose-fitting volleyball shorts are more similar to basketball shorts. They are usually longer than spandex shorts and much looser. This option may be more comfortable for players that like to wear loose clothing. These can also be easily combined with compression shorts and are most common in men's volleyball.
The most common materials found in volleyball shorts are cotton, polyester, and spandex.
- Cotton: Cotton is commonly blended with other materials in volleyball shorts. It is lightweight and breathable, but absorbs too much moisture if used by itself.
- Polyester: Polyester is found in both types of volleyball shorts. It is a synthetic fabric that has similar benefits to cotton but has better moisture-wicking properties.
- Spandex: Spandex is mostly found in spandex and women's volleyball shorts. It is a stretchy material that is commonly blended with other synthetic materials since it also absorbs some moisture.
The most popular brands that produce volleyball shorts are Adidas, Asics, Baleaf, and Nike.
- Adidas: Adidas is one of the largest sports equipment and apparel manufacturers in the world. They make mainly women's spandex shorts, along with a few kid size options.
- Asics: Asics makes shoes and other apparel for a few different sports. They also make spandex shorts with a few different inseams.
- Baleaf: Baleaf makes gear for mainly outdoor and recreational sports. They make both men's and women's shorts that can be used for multiple sports, including volleyball.
- Nike: Nike is another one of the largest sports equipment and apparel brands. They make mainly women's and kids volleyball shorts.
When deciding which volleyball shorts to buy, always consider the durability, cost, sizes, and comfort.
Volleyball shorts are very durable. As is the case with most other athletic shorts, volleyball shorts will be made to last a long time. Shorts made with cotton, however, may be prone to shrinking or loosening.
Most volleyball shorts can be found for $20 to $30. Regardless of the materials and type, most stock shorts will fall in this range. If customizing shorts for a team, they may cost more than $30 unless they are bought in bulk.
Most volleyball shorts will come in regular clothing sizes such as XS to 3XL. They will usually be sized similar to other athletic shorts and regular shorts. Make sure to either try them on in person or see if a website has a size chart to find the correct size.
The two types of volleyball shorts have different comfort levels depending on the person. People who prefer tighter fitting clothes for sports will prefer spandex shorts. Loose-fitting shorts are more comfortable for people who do not want a tight fit and like better breathability. While both styles are comfortable, the comfort level will vary by person.
Why are volleyball shorts so short?
The reason why volleyball shorts are so short is to give the players the widest possible range of motion. In volleyball, there is a lot of movement in the hips and knees during a game. Having shorts where the fabric will not get in the way of that motion greatly improves performance and comfort.
How do you know what size volleyball shorts you need?
The best way to know what size shorts you need is to actually try them on. If they are too tight, they may become uncomfortable and limit your range of motion. If they are too long or baggy, they may get in the way of your movements. It is best to find a mixture between tightness and looseness depending on the style shorts you desire.
How much do volleyball shorts cost?
Most volleyball shorts will cost under $30. This will typically hold true regardless of style or material. Buying volleyball shorts in bulk may make the cost go down slightly. On the other hand, customizing shorts with team colors or numbers may make them cost even more.