Volleyball shoes are an important piece of equipment that improve performance on the court. They also provide support that reduces the chance of an injury. This helps volleyball athletes have confidence in their movements and focus on the game.
What are volleyball shoes used for?
While volleyball shoes are similar in design to normal sneakers, they offer much more support and grip. It is important to have a good pair of volleyball shoes because they can prevent injury and make it easier to play the game. Most volleyball shoes are made out of a gum rubber sole. This provides extra traction, preventing the shoe from sliding and hurting the ankle. Unlike basketball sneakers, volleyball shoes focus on lateral movements rather than vertical ones. The midsole of the shoe also has extra cushioning because volleyball players spend most of the game on the balls of their feet. This added protection aids in quick movements on the court, allowing players to reach the ball in time.
Things To Consider
When looking for volleyball shoes, you'll want to consider the following:
- What are you going to use the shoes for?
- What position do you play?
- Are you playing indoors or outdoors?
- How much money do you have to spend on volleyball shoes?
- Do you have a favorite brand of color?
- How important is cushioning, stability, and grip to you?
There are three different types of volleyball shoes that prioritize certain movements for various positions on the court.
All Around Volleyball Shoes
All around volleyball shoes provide comfort for all areas of the court. They focus on stability and comfort rather than specific movements to make the game enjoyable for all. Not many brands produce all-around volleyball shoes, so there are not many color options.
Defense Position Shoes
Defensive volleyball players are constantly diving, moving, and dragging their shoes as they make an attempt on the ball. Volleyball shoes made for defensive players focus on durability. Extra padding prevents the shoe from tearing after heavy wear. Special materials also promote shock absorption, which can prevent injuries and support while landing.
Attack Position Shoes
Attacking volleyball shoes are designed to protect the foot when jumping and landing. Most of these types of shoes have a gel material in the front and back of the shoe. Attacking shoes are the best in terms of shock absorption since attacking players are constantly jumping and landing on the court.
The materials of a volleyball shoe are important in providing stability, agility, and breathability.
- Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate (EVA): EVA is a plastic material used in soles that are more lightweight and flexible than rubber. They last longer than other materials and provide great shock absorption.
- Polyurethane: This is the most dense and durable material that can be used on volleyball shoes. They often turn yellow with age and are the heaviest material.
- Rubber: Rubber is often located on the sole of the shoe. It is sometimes a tan color, also known as gum. The rubber maximizes grip and prevents sliding on the court.
The main suppliers of volleyball shoes including Asics, Mizuno, and Adidas all have an advanced background in athletic sneakers, making them excellent options to purchase from.
- Asics: This brand is one of the most popular when it comes to volleyball shoes. Asics is known for their gel technology to promote comfort.
- Mizuno: The company's first volleyball shoe was launched in 2003. They have expanded and currently sell seven different models of volleyball shoes.
- Adidas: Adidas became a popular volleyball shoe manufacturer after updating their patented boost technology in 2013. They are now the official footwear provider for USA Volleyball.
Before buying a pair of volleyball shoes, it is important to consider the durability, cost, comfort, and sizing.
With the materials discussed above, volleyball shoes are very durable. Depending on how much they are used, they can last up to a year or more. One way to make volleyball shoes last longer is to get new insoles. Replacing volleyball shoes is a smart idea for all players after a full season of practices and games.
A new pair of volleyball shoes will cost between $100 and $150. This price depends on when the shoes were released and what they are made of. Some brands have sales at the end of the season to prepare for newer models. Most of the brands list volleyball shoes at a similar price point to ensure their products remain competitive.
Volleyball shoes are one of the most comfortable sports shoes due to the combination of padding and gel support. A volleyball shoe should fit snug but not too tight on the foot. They will probably feel bulky at first, but they will break in after wearing them for a week or so.
What is important to know when choosing volleyball shoes?
It is important to first know what type of volleyball shoes to purchase. Since there are many positions on the court, there are different types of volleyball shoes. Besides defensive and attacking shoes, most players will purchase an all around volleyball sneaker. It is also important to note the brands of the shoe and what technology that they implement. The cushioning of the shoe is often updated, with some brands investing in recycled materials.
How much do volleyball shoes cost?
Volleyball shoes cost between $100 and $150 for a new pair. The most popular brands are ASICS, Mizuno, and Adidas. Some companies give select models discounts when they go out of style, offering a good opportunity to buy at a lower price. More often than not, however, you'll need to purchase shoes within this $100-$150 price range if you intend on getting a quality pair of volleyball shoes.
What type of shoe is best for volleyball?
Volleyball shoes are designed similarly to basketball shoes and running sneakers. They all focus on support in the foot and ankle area because it prevents injuries. When looking for a volleyball shoe, make sure to prioritize comfort, stability, and movement. Do not worry if the shoe does not feel comfortable the first time it is worn, as it needs to be broken in. Make sure to purchase the correct size shoe for your feet. The shoe should be snug but not tight or loose. If the shoe doesn't fit right an injury can occur.