Volleyball nets are a piece of equipment used in every volleyball game. They are used for both indoor and outdoor volleyball. Volleyball nets can vary in size and are one of the most iconic pieces of equipment in volleyball.
What are volleyball nets used for?
Volleyball nets are a long rectangular net that is held up between two poles. They are placed right in the center of the volleyball court with each team on one side of the net. The volleyball players must hit the ball over the net during a rally in order to keep the ball in play. The net also cannot be touched by a player during a rally otherwise the rally will end and the opposing team will gain a point. A player must also not cross underneath the net during a rally or the same outcome will occur. Volleyball nets also have two small poles that stick above the net. These poles are placed directly above the out bounds line to indicate a vertical boundary. A player must pass the ball over the net inside of the two poles as well.
The standard height for men's volleyball nets is just under 8 feet while women's nets are around 7 feet and 4 inches. This is the same for both indoor and outdoor nets. Volleyball nets are also commonly used during practice, but not all drills will require a net.
Things To Consider
When looking for a volleyball net, you'll want to consider the following:
- What are you going to use the net for?
- Are you going to set up the net indoors or outdoors?
- How much money do you want to spend on a volleyball net?
- How much space do you have?
- Is the net going to be used for competition or practice?
- Do you need a portable or in-ground net?
The different types of volleyball nets are indoor and outdoor nets.
Indoor and outdoor volleyball nets are very similar. However, indoor volleyball nets are designed specifically for indoor volleyball. They will usually have much lighter poles that will be easier to store and transport. The nets are mostly the same as outdoor nets.
Outdoor nets are designed specifically for outdoor volleyball. They are the same height as indoor volleyball nets. However, outdoor volleyball nets are usually made with heavier and more weather-resistant poles since they are often left outside.
The most common materials found in volleyball nets are nylon, vinyl, and polypropylene.
- Nylon: Nylon is a material commonly used in volleyball netting. It is durable and relatively cheap to produce.
- Vinyl: Vinyl is a material commonly used in the edges or sides of volleyball nets. It is a durable material that will withstand both indoor and outdoor elements.
- Polypropylene: Polypropylene is a type of plastic commonly used in the netting of volleyball nets. It is very durable and commonly used in outdoor nets.
The most popular brands that produce volleyball nets are Baden, Champion and Spalding.
- Baden: Baden makes sports equipment for a wide variety of different sports. They make two different volleyball nets that come in complete sets and are designed for mainly outdoor use.
- Champion Sports: Champion Sports is another brand that makes a wide variety of sporting equipment. They make nylon volleyball nets that can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- Spalding: Spalding makes high quality equipment for basketball, as well as a few other sports. They make full volleyball systems which are made for indoor use.
When deciding which volleyball nets to buy, always consider the durability, cost, and sizes.
Volleyball nets are very durable. They are designed to last a long time and most people will only need to purchase one over the course of many years. Outdoor nets may not last as long as indoor nets since they are often exposed to harsh weather.
Volleyball nets vary greatly in cost. Portable outdoor sets that are mainly designed for recreational use can usually be found for under $100. Individual nets that are designed for official use will usually cost between $100 and $300. Buying a full volleyball set for official use will likely cost at least $3,000.
Volleyball nets come in a few different sizes. They are usually all around 36 feet long, with the actual net measuring around 39 inches tall. Most nets can be adjusted to many different heights depending on the gender and age group using the net. One size net will likely be able to be used for any league.
What are the dimensions of a volleyball net?
Volleyball nets are 36 feet long for almost every occasion. Some outdoor nets may be narrower, as they use a smaller court. The net itself is 39 inches tall but the top of the net can reach anywhere from 7'4" to 8' from the ground.
What kind of net do professional volleyball players use?
Professional volleyball leagues use a variety of different brands for their official volleyball nets. However, the one consistent factor is that professional indoor leagues use indoor nets while professional outdoor leagues use outdoor nets.
What materials are volleyball nets made from?
Volleyball net systems are made from a wide variety of different materials, but the actual nets are usually made from a select few. Nylon and polypropylene are commonly used for the netting while other materials like vinyl are used for the edges or outline.