Soccer Technical Area
The technical area in soccer is where the fourth official is located and where all substitutions are initiated. There are certain rules and regulations regarding who is allowed in the technical area. Read on to learn more about the technical area, including the location, dimensions, and rules.
Location and Dimensions
The technical area is located on the sideline at the halfway line, in between the two team’s bench areas. There is no set standard for the dimensions of the technical area, except that it must extend no more than one yard on either side of the seating area and a maximum of one yard away from the touchline.
Technical Area Rules
According to the Laws of the Game, there are five general rules regarding occupancy and behavior within the technical area:
- The number of persons permitted to occupy the technical area is defined by each competition’s rules.
- The occupants of the technical area must be identified before the beginning of the match in accordance with each competition’s rules.
- Only one person at a time is authorized to give tactical instructions from inside the technical area.
- The coach and other officials must remain within the confines of the technical area except in special circumstances, such as to assess an injured player.
- The coach and other occupants of the technical area must behave in a responsible manner (according to the referee’s discretion).