- Modern Pentathlon
- What Sports Are In The Olympic Modern Pentathlon?
What Sports Are In The Olympic Modern Pentathlon?
Modern Pentathlon includes freestyle swimming, equestrian jumping, cross country running, fencing, and pistol shooting.
Table of Contents
1. Freestyle Swimming
- Athletes compete in a 200m race.
- Male swimmers receive 1000 points if completed in 2 minutes 30 seconds.
- Female swimmers receive 1000 points if completed in 2 minutes 40 seconds.
- Swimmers will receive more than 1000 points if they complete the race in less than the benchmark time.
- Swimmers will receive less than 1000 points if they complete the race in more than the benchmark time.
2. Equestrian Jumping
- Horseback riding course with 12 jumps.
- Riders attempt to complete the course in the correct order to the best of their ability.
- Points are deducted from in accordance with the severity of the mistakes.
- Some common mistakes include knocking over rails, refusing to go over jumps, and mistiming the horse's stride length.
3. Cross country Running & Pistol Shooting
- Three back to back to back 1000m races, each preceded by a shooting event
- Runners must hit all 5 targets from 10 meters away to continue with the race.
- Misses do not count against one's score.
- Runners receive more points the faster they finish the race.
- Players use an epee fencing weapon while competing in 1 minute matches.
- Play is conducted in round robin format, meaning that every player faces.each other 1 time.
- The higher the win percentage, the more points are added to the players total score.