What Sports Are In The Olympic Modern Pentathlon?
Modern Pentathlon includes freestyle swimming, equestrian jumping, cross country running, fencing, and pistol shooting.
1. Freestyle Swimming
- Athletes compete in a 200m race.
- Male swimmers receive 1000 points if completed in 2 minutes 30 seconds.
- Female swimmers receive 1000 points if completed in 2 minutes 40 seconds.
- Swimmers will receive more than 1000 points if they complete the race in less than the benchmark time.
- Swimmers will receive less than 1000 points if they complete the race in more than the benchmark time.
2. Equestrian Jumping
- Horseback riding course with 12 jumps.
- Riders attempt to complete the course in the correct order to the best of their ability.
- Points are deducted from in accordance with the severity of the mistakes.
- Some common mistakes include knocking over rails, refusing to go over jumps, and mistiming the horse’s stride length.
3. Cross country Running & Pistol Shooting
- Three back to back to back 1000m races, each preceded by a shooting event
- Runners must hit all 5 targets from 10 meters away to continue with the race.
- Misses do not count against one’s score.
- Runners receive more points the faster they finish the race.
- Players use an epee fencing weapon while competing in 1 minute matches.
- Play is conducted in round robin format, meaning that every player faces.each other 1 time.
- The higher the win percentage, the more points are added to the players total score.