Most College Basketball National Championship Wins
With March Madness taking the country by storm every year, college basketball fans around the world always hope that their team can achieve the pinnacle of NCAA College Basketball: the NCAA National Championship title. Let's take a stroll down memory lane to see which teams have racked up the most titles in March Madness history.
Which Colleges Have the Most March Madness Title Wins?
- UCLA Bruins - 11 wins
- Kentucky Wildcats - 8 wins
- North Carolina Tar Heels - 6 wins
- Duke Blue Devils - 5 wins
- Indiana Hoosiers - 5 wins
- UConn Huskies - 5 wins
1. UCLA Bruins - 11 Wins
The UCLA Bruins stand alone at the top with 11 National Championships, the only team with double digit wins. Coach John Wooden was with the team for their first 10 wins. The New York Times wrote that Wooden “made UCLA the most successful team in college basketball.” UCLA also holds the record for the most consecutive national titles as well. From 1967 to 1973, the team racked up seven consecutive championships. They are a historic franchise that has continued to see team success and tournament births, despite their most recent win coming in 1995.
Below is a list of UCLA Bruins National Championship Wins:
- 1964: UCLA Bruins vs. Duke Blue Devils
- 1965: UCLA Bruins vs. Michigan Wolverines
- 1967: UCLA Bruins vs. Dayton Flyers
- 1968: UCLA Bruins vs. North Carolina Tar Heels
- 1969: UCLA Bruins vs. Purdue Boilermakers
- 1970: UCLA Bruins vs. Jacksonville Dolphins
- 1971: UCLA Bruins vs. Villanova Wildcats
- 1972: UCLA Bruins vs. Florida State Seminoles
- 1973: UCLA Bruins vs. Memphis State Tigers
- 1975: UCLA Bruins vs. Kentucky Wildcats
- 1995: UCLA Bruins vs. Arkansas Razorbacks
2. Kentucky Wildcats - 8 Wins
The runner-up thus far in the quest for National Championships, the Kentucky Wildcats have won eight editions of the tournament. The University of Kentucky picked up their first tournament victory in 1948. Most recently the Wildcats won it all in 2012 when star player Anthony Davis broke the NCAA freshman block record, tallying up 183 blocks over the course of the season.
Below is a list of Kentucky Wildcats National Championship Wins:
- 1948: Kentucky Wildcats vs. Baylor Bears
- 1949: Kentucky Wildcats vs. Oklahoma A&M Cowboys
- 1951: Kentucky Wildcats vs. Kansas State Wildcats
- 1958: Kentucky Wildcats vs. Seattle Chieftains
- 1978: Kentucky Wildcats vs. Duke Blue Devils
- 1996: Kentucky Wildcats vs. Syracuse Orangemen
- 1998: Kentucky Wildcats vs. Utah Utes
- 2012: Kentucky Wildcats vs. Kansas Jayhawks
3. North Carolina Tar Heels - 6 Wins
Up next is UNC in the third place slot, with six total National Championship titles. Back in 1957, the Tar Heels won their first championship title in a third overtime period, the only three-overtime game in the history of the NCAA finals. North Carolina claimed their most recent title in 2017 under coach Roy Williams, who remains their head coach to this day.
Below is a list of North Carolina Tar Heels National Championship Wins:
- 1957: North Carolina Tar Heels vs. Kansas Jayhawks
- 1982: North Carolina Tar Heels vs. Georgetown Hoyas
- 1993: North Carolina Tar Heels vs. Michigan Wolverines
- 2005: North Carolina Tar Heels vs. Illinois Fighting Illini
- 2009: North Carolina Tar Heels vs. Michigan State Spartans
- 2017: North Carolina Tar Heels vs. Gonzaga Bulldogs
4. Duke Blue Devils - 5 Wins
Not far behind the Tar Heels is a fellow North Carolina program, the Duke Blue Devils, with five national titles to their name. The Blue Devils earned their first title farther down the line than the other teams on this list, defeating Kansas in 1991 with a score of 72-65. Duke won again in 1992, achieving back-to-back consecutive titles. They continue to be a competitive team, having secured their most recent championship in 2015.
Below is a list of Duke Blue Devils National Championship Wins:
- 1991: Duke Blue Devils vs. Kansas Jayhawks
- 1992: Duke Blue Devils vs. Michigan Wolverines
- 2001: Duke Blue Devils vs. Arizona Wildcats
- 2010: Duke Blue Devils vs. Butler Bulldogs
- 2015: Duke Blue Devils vs. Wisconsin Badgers
5. Indiana Hoosiers - 5 Wins
The Indiana Hoosiers are tied with Duke University and UConn for the fourth-most March Madness titles, holding a total of five. Coach Bob Knight led his team to an undefeated 32-0 record in their 1975-76 season, but their most recent victory in 1987 was because of the winning shots by guard Keith Smart. Smart had the two final shots, one of which was made with five seconds left on the clock, and the other a near buzzer beater.
Below is a list of Indiana Hoosiers National Championship Wins:
- 1940: Indiana Hoosiers vs. Kansas Jayhawks
- 1953: Indiana Hoosiers vs. Kansas Jayhawks
- 1976: Indiana Hoosiers vs. Michigan Wolverines
- 1981: Indiana Hoosiers vs. North Carolina Tar Heels
- 1987: Indiana Hoosiers vs. Syracuse Orangemen
6. UConn Huskies - 5 Wins
The UConn Huskies are tied for the fourth-most March Madness Championships with five. The Huskies did not win their first championship until 1999, but have won five in 25 years. UConn’s most recent championship came in 2023, when they stormed their way through the tournament with double-digit wins in every single game.
Below is a list of UConn Huskies National Championship Wins:
- 1999: UConn Huskies vs. Duke Blue Devils
- 2004: UConn Huskies vs. Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket
- 2011: UConn Huskies vs. Butler Bulldogs
- 2014: UConn Huskies vs. Kentucky Wildcats
- 2023: UConn Huskies vs. San Diego State Aztecs
Which college has won the most March Madness titles?
The University of California-Los Angeles (UCLA) Bruins have won the most March Madness titles, winning 11 throughout their history. They won their first national title in 1964 under legendary coach John Wooden. Wooden would lead UCLA to nine more titles during his tenure, achieving seven consecutive titles from 1967-1973.