Lacrosse jerseys are one of the most iconic pieces of equipment in lacrosse. Every organized team will have lacrosse jerseys. This piece of equipment is highly customizable and is usually required when playing a lacrosse game. There is a lot to learn about the different types of lacrosse jerseys.
What are jerseys used for in lacrosse?
Lacrosse jerseys are only one piece of an entire uniform. They are similar to an athletic shirt and cover all of the pads a lacrosse player might wear on their torso. Apart from the shorts, helmets, and even cleats or socks, lacrosse jerseys are used to help identify a specific player or team when playing or watching lacrosse. The different indicators on a jersey to help identify a player or team include the player's name, player's number, team name, and/or team colors. For most lacrosse leagues, these aspects of a jersey can all be customized in order to fit a specific theme or team identity.
Things To Consider
When looking for a lacrosse jersey, you'll want to consider the following:
- What size jersey are you looking for?
- What style of jersey do you want?
- How much are you looking to spend on a lacrosse jersey?
- Will you be using the jersey in practice or in games?
The different types of lacrosse jerseys include short sleeve, sleeveless, and pinnies.
Short sleeve lacrosse jerseys are usually the most common type of jersey. They have a similar look to a football jersey or large t-shirt and will cover most types of padding. These jerseys are usually the ones worn in games.
Sleeveless lacrosse jerseys are usually made out of very similar materials to short sleeve jerseys. The only difference between the two kinds is that sleeveless jerseys don't have sleeves. This jersey is preferred by players who wear minimal or no shoulder pads and desire extra range of motion.
The term pinnie is often used interchangeably with sleeveless lacrosse jerseys. These jerseys look more like tank tops than sleeveless jerseys and are usually reversible. They are a popular choice among lower level teams as they are cheaper and can be used as two different color jerseys. Pinnies are also commonly worn as practice jerseys.
The most common materials found in lacrosse jerseys are cotton, polyester, and nylon.
- Cotton: Cotton is a material that is commonly blended with other materials in a lacrosse jersey. While it is very lightweight, breathable, and cheap, it can often shrink and is not as durable as other materials.
- Polyester: Polyester is a very lightweight and durable jersey material. It is often used for more tight fitting jerseys and is usually very breathable.
- Nylon: Nylon is not as common as it used to be, but is still used in some lacrosse jerseys. It is similar to polyester, but is usually cheaper and sometimes more durable. This material can commonly be found in pinnies.
The most common brands that produce lacrosse jerseys are Adidas, Nike, and Under Armour.
- Adidas: Adidas is a major sports equipment and apparel company known for their high-quality products. They make stock lacrosse jerseys in different colors and also have a full website for customizing jerseys for teams.
- Nike: Nike is one of the world's largest sports equipment and apparel manufacturers. They make plain jerseys, as well as ones that can be fully customized to a team's specific theme.
- Under Armour: Under Armour is another major sports equipment and apparel brand. They also make customizable jerseys for entire teams and also have a few premade collegiate jerseys.
When deciding which lacrosse jersey to buy, always consider the durability, cost, and sizes.
Lacrosse jerseys will usually last a long time. Oftentimes, jerseys are handed down from player to player year after year, especially in lower level leagues. Most jerseys will last multiple seasons depending on the level of wear they receive. Most polyester jerseys will last longer than other materials.
Lacrosse jerseys can cost anywhere from a few dollars to upwards of $80. Some plain lacrosse jerseys can be bought in bulk and will only cost a few dollars per jersey. Jerseys that are made with high quality materials and have names, logos, and customized colors will usually cost at least $40 per jersey.
Most lacrosse jerseys will come in sizes similar to t-shirts. They can range anywhere from 2XS to 3XL. Most companies will sell youth and adult jerseys as well. It is likely that a manufacturer will have a size chart in their website to meet the exact measurement of an individual.
How much does a lacrosse jersey cost?
Lacrosse jerseys have a wide variety of prices. Jerseys with lower quality materials and no customization will often cost only a few dollars if bought in bulk. Individually purchased jerseys or fully customized team jerseys will usually cost upwards of $40 per jersey.
What are the kinds of lacrosse jerseys?
There are three kinds of lacrosse jerseys. Short sleeve jerseys resemble a football jersey and are athletic t-shirts made specifically for performance benefits. Sleeveless jerseys are very similar to short sleeve jerseys except that they don't have sleeves. Pinnies usually resemble a tank top and are often reversible to be used as two different jerseys.
What kind of jerseys do professional lacrosse players use?
In the PLL, lacrosse players wear short sleeve jerseys during games. They may use sleeveless jerseys or pinnies for practice, but all players have the same style jersey in games.