Lacrosse Goalie Throat Protectors
One of the least noticeable, yet vital pieces of equipment in lacrosse is the goalie throat protector. Lacrosse goalie throat protectors are almost always required and very useful in terms of player safety. These throat protectors are similar to ones found in other sports such as hockey.
What are lacrosse goalie throat protectors used for?
Lacrosse goalie throat protectors are a hard piece of equipment that attaches to the hamlet of a lacrosse goalie. It usually hangs around the chin area and covers the goalie’s throat from hard shots as well as any other potential object that can hit a goalie’s neck. Lacrosse throat guards are designed to protect the goalie while not limiting their range of motion.
Throat protectors come in a few different kinds and are usually made out of a hard plastic material. They are usually sold separately from a helmet and can be attached to almost any type of helmet.
Things To Consider
When looking for a goalie throat protector, you'll want to consider the following:
- What style of goalie throat protector do you want?
- What skill level of lacrosse are you playing?
- How much do you want to spend on a throat protector?
- What kind of helmet do you have?
The different types of lacrosse goalie throat protectors include hockey style danglers and lacrosse-specific throat guards.
Hockey Style Dangler
While these types of throat protectors are specifically designed for hockey, they can be used for lacrosse as well. These are slightly larger than lacrosse throat guards and do not connect directly to a lacrosse helmet. However, if attached properly they can offer equal protection.
Lacrosse-Specific Throat Guard
Lacrosse-specific throat guards are made specifically for lacrosse goalies. They are usually thinner than hockey danglers and will attach much more easily. These are the most common type of throat protector and are universally allowed in every lacrosse league.
The most common materials found in goalie throat protectors are plastic and polycarbonate.
- Plastic: Plastic is the generic term for the materials that usually make up throat protectors. This material is very hard and can be pretty cheap to produce, making it a good choice for throat guards.
- Polycarbonate: Polycarbonate is a type of plastic that has been reinforced with carbon for strengthening purposes. Because of this, it is typically stronger than basic plastic and is easily molded.
The most popular brands that produce lacrosse goalie throat protectors are Cascade, STX, and Warrior
- Cascade: Cascade specialized in making lacrosse helmets and accessories for both men and women. Their throat protectors are the most commonly used, and they make a few different models.
- STX: STX produces high-quality equipment for lacrosse, field hockey, and ice hockey. They make lacrosse-specific throat protectors and use polycarbonate.
- Warrior: Warrior makes equipment for both lacrosse and ice hockey. They make throat protectors that are designed to be easily attached to any type of lacrosse helmet and come in a few different colors.
When deciding which throat protector to buy, always consider the durability, cost, and sizes.
Goalie throat protectors are usually pretty durable. They are a single piece of plastic which makes them resistant to breaking or chipping. As long as they are properly attached to the helmet, they will withstand a large number of hard shots and should last at least a few years.
Most lacrosse goalie throat protectors will cost around $30-$40. Some can be much cheaper but will likely not last as long or provide as much protection. They can sometimes cost more if they have higher quality materials or custom designs.
Most goalie throat protectors will come in a single size. Some brands might produce youth throat guards along with the traditional adult sizes. Each throat protector will likely fit most helmets.
How much does a throat protector cost?
Must throat protectors can be found for under $40. Some brands like STX may cost a little bit more as they usually produce high-quality products and use strong materials. Some throat guards can be found for much less, but may not provide as much protection.
Are goalies required to wear a throat protector in lacrosse?
Goalie throat guards are required in both men’s and women's lacrosse. While the exact requirements vary between the two sports, every goalie is required to wear some form of throat protection during games.
What are the benefits of wearing a throat protector in lacrosse?
Throat protectors are mainly used to protect the goalie against hard shots or any potential objects that may hit their neck. They are designed to provide as much protection as possible while allowing the goalies to maintain a full range of motion.