Ice Hockey Pucks
Pucks are a must-have item for anyone who plays hockey. A hockey puck is a disk shaped object that players pass around the ice, as they attempt to score goals by putting the puck in the opposing team's net. Pucks are small but dense, making them easy for players to control, pass, and shoot as they play and practice.
What are ice hockey pucks used for?
Pucks are one of, if not the, most important pieces of equipment in the sport of hockey. Pucks are the ice hockey equivalent of a ball in many other sports, so games can not be played without one. Every ice hockey team uses pucks on a daily basis during practice, warmups, and games. Ice hockey pucks are small, but dense.
Ice hockey pucks are black in order to make the puck easy to see for both players and referees on the ice during games and practices. The goal of every ice hockey team is to control the puck on offense in an attempt to score it in the net, while also preventing the other team from putting the puck in their own net while they are on defense.
Things To Consider
When looking for ice hockey pucks, you'll want to consider the following:
- What will you be using the hockey puck for?
- How experienced are you at ice hockey?
- How much money do you have to spend on hockey pucks?
- How many hockey pucks do you need?
- What is the right puck to get for you or your team?
Types of Hockey Pucks
While the standard hockey puck that most people are familiar with is black, there are many different kinds of pucks used throughout all levels of ice hockey. Each different kind of puck is made a different color, and each has specific uses.
- Standard Puck (Black): The standard ice hockey puck is used in most levels of hockey. This is the puck that the NHL and other professional leagues will use for all games and practices. Standard hockey pucks are black, one inch thick, and have a diameter of three inches. Standard pucks weigh between 5.5-6 ounces.
- Training Puck (Red/Orange): The biggest difference between a standard puck and a training puck is their weight. A training puck will weigh ten ounces. These pucks are heavier to help hockey players with their shots and puck handling.
- Youth Puck (Blue): Youth hockey pucks are the same size and shape as a standard puck, but are much lighter in weight. Youth pucks weigh four ounces, making them easier to handle and shoot for young players who may not be strong enough to use a standard puck yet.
- Goalie Training Puck (White): The only difference between goalie training pucks and standard ice hockey pucks is the color. These pucks are great for training a goalie's reaction time and vision as the black standard puck will be much easier to see during games.
Some important considerations when buying hockey pucks are durability, weight, and cost.
During an NHL game, the puck being used is switched out every two to three minutes of gametime on average. This is because as the puck spends time on the ice, it gets warmer, thus making it easier for it to become chipped due to the high speeds and force it moves with. This time will of course be longer in lower levels of hockey, but it is important to make sure pucks are not chipped while playing in a game.
Hockey pucks are typically bought in bulk because you always want to make sure the puck you are using is in top condition. Standard black pucks can be bought for anywhere from $1-$1.50 each. Training pucks and youth pucks may cost a bit more, but are worth the purchase for players looking to improve their game. Hockey pucks are relatively inexpensive because of how many are used on average during games and seasons.
A standard hockey puck will weigh between 5.5 and 6 ounces. While this may seem light, pucks are very dense and move with lots of force. Youth pucks will weigh around 4 ounces, while some training pucks will weigh up to 10 ounces. Heavier pucks are great for practice because they make standard pucks seem lighter, making in-game shots fly faster and harder, while youth pucks are lighter for smaller players to use.
Why are hockey pucks frozen?
Pucks are frozen before every game in the NHL, and it is the responsibility of the home team to ensure that all pucks that enter the game are between 14 and 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Pucks are frozen to prevent them from bouncing on the ice. Pucks ideally slide across the ice when passed, so if they start to bounce officials will know they are too warm. Although the game is played on ice, pucks will warm up, so it is important for the home team and game officials to make sure the puck does not go above the allowed temperature.
Which brand of hockey puck is used by the NHL?
Every NHL game is played with pucks made by Inglasco. Pucks used in NHL games are standard sized black pucks that are one inch thick, 3 inches in diameter, and made of vulcanized rubber. Every NHL team uses these pucks for their practices and games. Game pucks will often feature logos such as the NHL logo, the logo of the home team, special event logos (Ex: Winter Classic logo), and Stanley Cup Playoff logos.
How heavy are standard hockey pucks?
Standard hockey pucks weigh between 5.5 and 6 ounces. This is heavy enough for players to easily pass, handle, and shoot the puck without having any problems, and light enough to glide through the air on a shot. Heavier pucks are sometimes used in training, while youth leagues may use lighter pucks. Standard hockey pucks are the most common and most recognizable in the sport.