Ice Hockey Goalie Blockers
Ice hockey goalies do not wear traditional hockey gloves. Instead, they have a catching glove on one hand and a blocker on the other. Blockers look much different and serve a different purpose than catching gloves, but they are equally as important.
What are goalie blockers used for in ice hockey?
Ice hockey goalie blockers are a rectangular shaped pad attached to a glove. It has protection on the side of the hands as well as over the fingers. They give the goalie a large surface to block shots with while still being able to hold their stick. Traditionally, blockers are worn on the goalie's dominant hand so that they could hold their stick more comfortably. However, this is not always the case and blockers are most commonly worn on the right hand.
Not only are blockers designed to prevent pucks from entering the net, but they can also be used to precisely direct a rebound in a specific direction clearing the area of danger. Additionally, goalie blockers provide a lot of protection to the goalkeeper's arm.
Things To Consider
When looking for a goalie blocker, you'll want to consider the following:
- How much do you want to spend on a goalie blocker?
- Do you want your goalie blocker to match your catching glove?
- Are you right-handed or left-handed?
The different types of goalie blockers are full-right and regular.
The main difference between the two types of blockers is which hand they are used for. A full-right blocker is worn on the right hand. This is usually worn by right-handed goalkeepers since they can use their non-dominant hand to hold their stick.
Regular hockey blockers are worn on the right hand of the goalkeeper. This type of blocker allows for right-handed goalies to hold their stick in their dominant hand. This is the most common type of blocker and is even worn by some left-handed goalkeepers as well.
The main materials found in goalie blockers are foam, hydrophobic synthetic leather, and nylon.
- Foam: Foam is the material most commonly found inside of the blocker pad. It also can be found in most side protectors and in some of the finger protection areas and provides a lot of shock absorption.
- Hydrophobic Synthetic Leather: Hydrophobic synthetic leather is a material most commonly used on the outside of blockers. It provides a similar feel to genuine leather while also remaining much more durable.
- Nylon: Nylon is another material used to wrap goalie blockers. It is often cheaper than synthetic leather but also may not provide the same feel and durability.
The most popular brands that produce goalie blockers are Bauer, CCM, and Vaughn
- Bauer: Bauer is a hockey equipment and apparel company known for their high quality products. They make a variety of different blockers for different prices and also have both regular and full-right styles.
- CCM: CCM makes a few different blockers targeted towards different ages and skill levels. They use high density foam for their padding.
- Vaughn: Vaughn exclusively produces hockey equipment for goalies. Their blockers are not as expensive as some brands but are still made with high quality materials.
When deciding which goalie blocker to buy, always consider the durability, cost, and sizes.
Similar to goalie gloves, goalie blockers should last a very long time. They are usually made with materials that will withstand a lot of high impact shots and have good moisture wicking properties. A high quality blocker should last at least a few years before needing to be replaced.
As is the case with most hockey goalie equipment, blockers are usually pretty expensive. Blockers that are targeted towards lower level and recreational goalies can usually be found for around $100 to $200. The highest quality blockers made for advanced goalies can cost anywhere from $300 to $500. Some brands like Bauer or CCM, known for their high quality products, will usually be the most expensive.
Most goalie blockers will come in 4 different sizes: youth, junior, intermediate, and senior. Each of these sizes will fit a range of different measurements. The way to measure your hand to find the right size is to measure from the base of the palm to the tip of the middle finger.
What are the best ice hockey goalie blockers?
How much does a goalie blocker cost?
Goalie blockers vary in price based on who they are targeted towards. Lower level goalies can usually find blockers suited for them for under $200. The highest quality blockers will likely cost upwards of $450. Customizing a glove will add to that price even further.
What are the kinds of goalie blockers?
The two types of goalie blocker are full-right and regular. The only difference between the two is which hand they are worn on. Full-right blockers are worn on the left hand and regular blockers are worn on the right. Which blocker a goalie chooses depends on their dominant hand and sometimes personal preference.
How do you know what size goalie blocker you need?
In order to figure out which size goalie blocker you need, you first need to measure from the base of your palm to the tip of your middle finger. Based on this measurement, most companies will have a size chart on their website that will correlate to your exact measurement.