Ice Hockey Gloves
Gloves are an essential piece of equipment in the game of ice hockey. It is required to wear gloves at every level. Hockey is one of the most physical and potentially dangerous sports, and gloves are just one of the many pieces of protection hockey players wear.
What are ice hockey gloves used for?
Ice hockey gloves are used to protect the player’s hands from injury. Whether it's flying pucks, errant sticks, or simply falling on the ice, hockey gloves will protect a player’s hands from most types of possible injuries. Hockey gloves are heavily padded and made with very strong materials. These gloves are also designed so that they can provide the most protection possible without limiting the hand’s necessary range of movement. Many gloves feature a reinforced thumb socket since thumbs tend to be the most vulnerable part of the hand.
Hockey gloves also provide additional warmth to the player’s hands. Hockey arenas can get very cold, and keeping the hands warm will allow them to keep a full range of movement. This is what hockey gloves were originally used for, and the additional padding has evolved over time.
Things To Consider
When looking for hockey gloves, you'll want to consider the following:
- What type of glove are you looking for?
- Is there a certain brand of glove you want?
- Which gloves provide the best protection?
- Which gloves are the most comfortable?
- How much are you looking to spend on gloves?
Types of Hockey Gloves
The three different types of hockey gloves are contoured, tapered, and traditional.
Contoured hockey gloves are designed to be the most natural-fitting type of glove. They eliminate most of the empty space all the way from the wrist to the fingers. This type of glove is usually preferred by someone who likes snug fitting gloves.
Tapered gloves are essentially a mix between traditional and contour gloves. They tend to be snug around the fingers and more relaxed near the palm and wrist area. These gloves are very useful for having a natural feel of holding a stick while also having a wide range of motion.
Traditional hockey gloves are the oldest form of glove and are generally loose fitting all the way around. They offer the highest range of motion compared to other types of gloves. This old school style of glove is still commonly used today.
The most common materials found in hockey gloves are carbon fiber, kevlar, and leather.
- Carbon Fiber: Carbon fiber is a fiber that is known for being very strong as well as lightweight. It is mostly found on the outer lining of gloves.
- Kevlar: Kevlar is a common material used in the protection layers of hockey gloves. Known for being bulletproof, kevlar is extremely durable and does not absorb moisture, making it a good choice for glove lining.
- Leather: Leather is the material that has been used the longest for hockey gloves. It is usually found on the palm region and sometimes in the lining. Synthetic leather is becoming more popular than genuine leather.
Hockey Glove Brands
Bauer, CCM, and Warrior are three of the most popular brands that produce ice hockey gloves.
- Bauer: Bauer is one of the premier hockey equipment and apparel brands on the market. They are known for making some of the highest quality gloves but tend to also be very expensive. They sell adult and youth sizes.
- CCM: CCM is another high quality hockey brand that produces equipment and apparel. They make a wide variety of gloves at different price points. They tend to run at a more moderate price point while still maintaining high quality.
- Warrior: Warrior makes sporting equipment for hockey and lacrosse. Most of their gloves are taper fit and come in many different sizes.
When deciding which gloves to buy, always consider the durability, cost, and sizes.
For youth players, hockey gloves may need to be replaced every 1-2 years as they often grow out of their size. Adults can sometimes use a pair of gloves for up to 5 years if taken care of properly. The main factor that causes gloves to need replacing is wear to the palms.
Hockey gloves can cost anywhere from $30 to around $200. Cheaper gloves and ones that are targeted to recreational players usually can be had from under $60. As the quality and performance standards rise, that is when the price can hit around $150 to $200. Popular name brands such as Bauer will often have the most expensive gloves.
Hockey gloves are usually separated into senior, junior, and youth categories for their size. Within those categories, there are usually a few different sizes as well. Glove sizes usually range from 7” to 15”.
How do you break in hockey gloves?
There are a few different ways to break in hockey gloves. One way is to simply wear them around until you get comfortable with how they feel. This can also soften the materials. Another way is to practice shooting or holding a hockey stick at home. This will usually work better than simply wearing them around. The last method, and also the most risky, is to steam or bake the gloves. Doing this is supposed to replicate sweat, but can also potentially damage the gloves.
How much do hockey gloves cost?
Hockey gloves have a wide range of prices from $30 to $200 or more. Cheaper ones that are meant for more casual use can usually be found for under $60. Higher quality gloves will hover around $150-$200. Youth and junior sized gloves will usually be cheaper than adult sizes.
How do you know what size hockey gloves to buy?
There are a few different ways to take measurements for hockey gloves. One way is to measure from the tip of your middle finger to the base of your palm in inches. Once you have this measurement, double it and that is your recommended size. Another way to measure is by measuring from the tip of the middle finger to the end of your elbow pad. It is best to look on the company’s website to see if they have a recommendation for which way to measure.