Each player has a unique role to fulfill on the ice in both offensive and defensive situations.
Meet The Wings (LW/RW) Or Forwards (LF/RF)
Also known as wingers, the wings are forwards who typically play along the wings of the ice rink. Wingers are primarily responsible for playing offense and creating offensive situations in the attacking zone. You'll typically find a wing playing in the slot.
Goals And Job
He must create offensive situations that put himself and his teammates in strong shooting positions.
Types Of Wingers
There are two (2) types of wingers in ice hockey:
Left Wing (LW)
Right Wing (RW)
Right wingers have much of the same responsibilities of the left wingers, except they play primarily on the right side of the rink. As opposed to left wingers, it helps to have a right-handed shot when playing right wing.
Defensive Responsibilities of Wingers
There are few important statistics that define a good winger:
We'll learn more about ice hockey statistics in future tutorials.
Top NHL Wingers Of All Time
- Gordie Howe, Detroit Red Wings
- Bobby Hull, The Golden Jet, Chicago Blackhawks and Winnipeg Jets
- Jaromir Jagr, Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Rangers
- Alexander Ovechkin (LW), Washington Capitals
2017-18 NHL Wingers
- Patrick Kane, Chicago Blackhawks
- Nikita Kucherov (RW), Tampa Bay Lightning
- Alex Ovechkin (LW), Washington Capitals
- Vladamir Tarasenko (RW), St. Louis Blues