Each player has a unique role to fulfill on the ice in both offensive and defensive situations.
Meet The Center (C)
Centers play a large role both offensively and defensively in ice hockey. They are largely responsible for monitoring the middle of the ice both in the attacking zone and defensive zone. They are usually the most versatile skaters in hockey.
Goals And Job
- to perform face-offs
- to control center ice
- to play defensively and offensively
- to score goals
- to make shots on goal
When in the attacking zone, centers typically have a fair amount of freedom to improvise. While centers typically position themselves in the middle of the ice, some tend to drift toward the boards and even behind the net creating offensive opportunities to score.
There are few important statistics that define a good goalie:
We'll learn more about ice hockey statistics in future tutorials.
Top NHL Centers Of All Time
- Wayne Gretzky (C)
- Mario Lemieux (C), Pittsburgh Penguins
- Mark Messier (C), New York Rangers
- Steve Yzerman (C), Detroit Red Wings
2017-18 NHL Centers
- Sidney Crosby (C), Pittsburgh Penguins
- Connor McDavid (C), Edmonton Oilers
- Steven Stamkos (C), Tampa Bay Lightning
- Patrice Bergeron (C), Boston Bruins