Ice Hockey Bags
Ice hockey bags are a key piece of equipment that can help players keep their equipment safe and organized. Below we will cover the types, materials, and brands one should be aware of before purchasing an ice hockey bag, alongside important considerations regarding durability, cost, and size.
What are ice hockey bags used for?
Ice hockey bags are used to help players transport their gear from place to place, store the equipment, and protect it. This is one of the last pieces of equipment purchased by players, as they must make this purchase after assessing how much space their equipment will take up.
Ice hockey bags are a must have for hockey players of all ages, allowing them to transport their gear and prevent equipment from breaking. Some items stored inside the bags include: helmets, skates, shoulder pads, elbow pads, shin guards, pants and more. Newer versions of ice hockey bags include additional pockets making it easier for players to keep personal items such as wallets, phones, and keys. Many companies have also included vented pockets for towels.
Things To Consider
When looking for a hockey bag, you'll want to consider the following:
- What type of bag are you looking for?
- How much do you want to spend on a bag?
- What size bag do you want to get?
- Do you want a bag with specialized compartments?
There are multiple types of ice hockey bags, each catering to different needs. Three of the most common types include backpack, duffle, and wheeled bag.
Backpacks are one of the most accessible choices for ice hockey bags. Usually, they come in smaller sizes but include many colors and styles. Backpacks can contain multiple pockets and compartments. With the proper organization, players can utilize the backpack effectively, especially if they are concerned with the style of the bag.
Duffle bags are the most popular option for ice hockey bags. They are durable, lightweight, and usually have a variety of pockets and compartments inside. Players can fit all of their equipment as there is no storage issue. The extra pockets provide additional storage and help to keep gear organized.
Wheeled bags are a very practical option for hockey bags. The attachable wheels and retractable handles increase the utility of the bag. These are usually larger in size which allows players to store more equipment. Players also don't have to worry about the weight of their gear, making it easier to carry everything.
Ice hockey bags are made out of a variety of materials, each contributing to the durability and usability of the bag.
- Nylon: Nylon is a stretchy and flexible material, making it possible to fit a large amount of hockey equipment. This sturdy material makes it durable over a long period of time. Nylon is also easy to wash and clean.
- Polyester: Polyester is a synthetic material that comes in many different shapes and colors which allows customers to choose from a wide array of options. It is also stain and water resistant.
- PVC: PVC is a very flexible and durable material. The material is lightweight, moldable, and tear-resistant. Not only that, but PVC can be customized to one's liking and is budget-friendly.
There are a variety of brands to choose from when it comes to purchasing an ice hockey bag. Some of the most popular brands include Bauer, CCM, and Warrior.
- Bauer: Bauer has been selling innovative hockey equipment for over 80 years. They produce a wide range of bags and backpacks that come in different sizes and materials such as heavy-duty polyester.
- CCM: CCM sells the latest ice hockey equipment, including duffle bags, backpacks, and wheeled bags. The bags come in different colorways, allowing the customer to choose their desired style.
- Warrior: Warrior manufactures equipment for ice hockey and lacrosse. Warrior's bags feature roller, duffle, and puck bags. They are made out of durable polyester making them resistant to damage.
When purchasing an ice hockey bag, some important considerations include the durability, cost, and size of the bag.
The durability of ice hockey bags depends on two main factors: price and material. Usually any waterproof material has increased durability, allowing it to last longer. The sturdier the material of the bag, the longer it can maintain its appearance and last over a longer period of time.
The cost of hockey bags varies depending on the type of bag, brand, and material. Backpacks range from about $40 to upwards of $100. Duffle bags range in price from $30-$200. For wheeled bags, you can expect to pay between $60 and $250. There is no definite cost of hockey bags as they vary depending on the quality and brand.
Most hockey bag sizes are available in the: youth, junior, intermediate, and senior sizes. Adults will want to purchase a larger bag that is capable of fitting all of their gear. You should also look out for additional compartments, external pockets, straps, and skate pockets offered.
What are the best ice hockey bags?
What do you put in a hockey bag?
Common types of equipment stored in hockey bags include helmets, skates, shoulder pads, elbow pads, shin guards, and pants. Aside from this, players can also store different types of tape (hockey stick and shin guard), stick wax, skate laces, steel runners, steel sharpeners, shower kit, and water bottles. Although each bag's contents will depend on the player, these are some of the most common items.
How much do hockey bags cost?
Hockey bags do not have a standard price as they vary based on the brand, quality, and material. The starting prices for the bags are as follows: backpacks at $40, duffle bags at $30, and wheeled bags at $60. But they can cost more depending on the brand. Additional customizations can increase the price of the bag. Overall, paying for high-quality materials will result in a durable and long-lasting bag.
What are the different kinds of hockey bags?
The three main kinds of ice hockey bags include backpacks, duffle bags, and wheeled bags. Backpacks are usually smaller in size but come in many types of styles and colors. Compartments and pockets make these bags great for storing smaller everyday items like a set of keys or a wallet. Duffle bags tend to be larger in size and feature a lightweight design, durable materials, and sizable compartments. Wheeled bags are ideal for transportation as they make it easier to carry heavy gear.