FIFA World Cup Players Most Matches
Lothar Matthäus has played in the most FIFA World Cup matches, appearing a record 25 times for Germany. Born in 1961, the legendary midfielder competed in a record five FIFA World Cup Finals. During his tenure, Matthäus helped Germany win three FIFA World Cups, the first in 1982, the second in 1986, and the third in 1990. In the 1990 FIFA World Cup, Matthäus served as the captain of the German national team, leading the squad to victory.
Including both competitions and friendly matches, Lathar Matthäus appeared for the German national team an incredible 150 times before his retirement in 2000. Matthäus was recognized for his successes, being awarded the World Footballer of the Year in 1990 and 1991.
Who has played the most matches at the FIFA World Cup?
- Lothar Matthäus: 25 World Cup appearances for Germany
- Miroslav Klose: 24 World Cup appearances for Germany
- Paolo Maldini: 23 World Cup appearances for Italy
- Diego Maradona: 21 World Cup appearances for Argentina
- Uwe Seeler: 21 World Cup appearances for Germany
- Władysław Żmuda: 21 World Cup appearances for Poland
- Grzegorz Lato: 20 World Cup appearances for Poland
- Javier Mascherano: 20 World Cup appearances for Argentina
- Cafú: 20 World Cup appearances for Brazil
- Philipp Lahm: 20 World Cup appearances for Germany
What Is The Highest Number Of Matches That A Single Player Has Played In The FIFA World Cup?
The highest number of matches that a player has played in the FIFA World Cup is 25. This record was set by the famous German midfielder Lothar Matthäus. Throughout his career, Lothar Matthäus helped Germany win the 1982, 1986, and 1990 FIFA World Cups. Furthermore, Lothar Matthäus served as the German captain during their 1990 victory. Matthäus was recognized for his efforts, winning the 1990 and the 1991 FIFA World Footballer of the Year awards.
Who Was The Oldest Player To Play In A FIFA World Cup?
Essam El-Hadary was the oldest player to play in the FIFA World Cup. The Egyptian international served as the national team goalkeeper at a record 45 years of age. In all international competitions, Essam El-Hadary made 159 appearances for the Egyptian national team, nine more appearances than Lothar Matthäus, the player that played the most FIFA World Cup matches in history.