What Are Some Crazy Facts About The NBA?
The NBA began all the way back in 1949, and since then, it has gone through numerous transformations, including a merger with a competing basketball league (the ABA), as well as adding several expansion teams. In the 70-plus years since its founding, a rich history full of crazy facts has played out. Read on to learn about some of the wildest NBA facts.
Crazy NBA Scoring Facts
- Wilt Chamberlain holds the record for the most points scored by one individual in a single game, with 100 points.
- LeBron James once scored the final 25 points for The Cleveland Cavaliers in a playoff game, defeating the Detroit Pistons. Those 25 points are the most consecutive points scored by one player in NBA history.
- Klay Thompson once hit 14 three-pointers in a single game, the most ever, breaking his teammate Steph Curry’s record of 13 three-pointers.
- The most minutes played in a game without scoring a single point is 48, and it has happened twice. Wilson Chandler played all 48 minutes for Denver against Minnesota in 2018 and failed to score. Dennis Rodman also achieved this feat for San Antonio in 1993, missing the one shot he took.
- Wilt Chamberlain took 18 shots in a 1967 game, scoring 42 points and not missing a single shot, an NBA record. Chamberlain also recorded the second-most points scored in a game without missing a shot (37).
- Rockets superstar Tracy McGrady once scored 13 points in 33 seconds in a furious come-from-behind victory against the San Antonio Spurs.
Crazy NBA Championship Facts
- Bill Russell holds the record for the most NBA Championships won (11). Russell also won the championship in 84.62% of the 13 seasons he played.
- Many people know that Michael Jordan went a perfect 6-0 in his six trips to the NBA Championship for The Chicago Bulls. Fewer people know that Robert Horry topped that feat with a 7-0 record for the Rockets, Spurs, and Lakers.
- There are only four players to have won a championship for three different NBA teams. Robert Horry, John Salley, Danny Green, and LeBron James have all accomplished this feat.
Miscellaneous Crazy NBA Facts
- Dallas Mavericks shooting guard Bubba Wells once fouled out after only playing two minutes and 43 seconds.
- Tony Snell once played 28 minutes in a 2017 Milwaukee Bucks game and did not register a single statistic. He finished the game with 0 points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks.
- A live bat once interrupted a San Antonio Spurs basketball game, flying all around the court. Spurs guard Manu Ginobili slapped the bat out of midair, allowing it to be caught and for play to resume.
- Out of all the people in the world over seven feet tall, 17 percent are or have been in the NBA.