Out Of Bounds Basketball
The boundaries of a basketball court are used to determine if the ball or a player goes out of bounds. There are rules associated with being out of bounds as a player. When the ball goes out of bounds, a throw-in, or sometimes a jump ball, is used to put the ball back into play.
Basketball Boundary Lines
The sidelines and baselines make up the boundary lines on a basketball court. A player is out-of-bounds if they step on or cross the boundary lines with their feet or touch any object that is out of play.
Basketball Out Of Bounds Rules
- You are out-of-bounds if you step on or cross the boundary lines
- You are out-of-bounds if you touch an object out of bounds
- You can jump in the air out-of-bounds to keep the ball in play as long as your feet don't touch the floor
- The ball is out of bounds if it is contact with a player, object, or part of the floor that is out of bounds
- The ball is out of bounds if it goes behind the backboard
- You caused the ball to go out of bounds if you touched it last
- You caused the ball to go out of bounds even if a player on the other team pushed any part of your body into it
- It is only a violation if a player steps out of bounds and then is the first player to touch it after coming back inbounds.
- If a player has the ball and steps out of bounds, it's a turnover and the other team gets the ball
- If a player steps out of bounds without the ball, he can step back inbounds at any point. However, he cannot touch the ball or impact the game until he has legally returned inbounds by having both feet within the boundary lines.
- If the ball happens to go out of bounds by any means, then the team that touched the ball last surrenders possession to the other team
Throw-ins, also known as inbound passes, are used to put the ball into play after the ball goes out of bounds. The referee will award the ball to the team that gets possession at the nearest sideline spot. On a throw-in, the thrower stands out of bounds and passes the ball to a teammate who is inbounds. They must keep both feet planted until the ball is released from their hands, and a defender usually tries to block inbound passes. Teams will generally assign someone very tall to guard inbounds passes as it makes it difficult to pass the player with the ball. A player has five seconds to inbound the ball, otherwise the other team will gain possession.
Basketball Jump Balls
Whenever the referees cannot figure out which team caused the ball to go out of bounds, a jump ball will be used to put the ball into play. This is only when video review proves inconclusive and jump balls are usually a last resort. Teams will usually let their tallest player take the jump ball. For a jump ball, a referee throws the ball in the air and two players jump and try to deflect it towards their teammates. Jump balls are considered a fair way to decide which team gets possession. Jump balls also occur at the beginning of games in order to determine who gets possession to start the game.
What counts as out of bounds in basketball?
In basketball, a ball is out of bounds if it touches a player who is out of bounds or lands out of bounds on the floor. The ball is also out if it hits any of the objects behind the basket or backboard. When the ball goes out of bounds, whichever team sent it out loses possession. If it is impossible to tell who touched the ball last before it went out of bounds, a jump ball will be called.
Can a basketball player run out of bounds and come back in bounds to play the ball?
An athlete that is out of bounds cannot play the ball, but as soon as both of their feet are back in the court, they can interact with the ball again. So, if a player is out of bounds, they must return to the court before being able to contribute to the team.
What is the penalty for the ball going out of bounds in basketball?
If the ball goes out of bounds in basketball, the penalty is a loss of possession for whichever team was last to touch the ball. This can be as little contact as a fingertip, or as blatant as a wayward pass that goes out of bounds. If an offensive player caused the ball to go out of bounds, they will usually be charged with a turnover.