Mike Krzyzewski Bio And Facts
Mike Krzyzewski is a former American basketball player and coach, who is most known for coaching the Duke Blue Devils from 1980-2022. Born in 1947 in Chicago, Illinois, Krzyzewski took a liking to basketball at a young age. Krzyzewski attended Army West Point and played basketball under legendary coach Bob Knight. He played point guard and shooting guard for the Black Knights.
Soon after graduating, Krzyzewski followed Bob Knight to Indiana to be an assistant coach. Shortly after, “Coach K” was offered the head coaching job at his alma mater, Army, where he would coach for six seasons. In 1980, Krzyzewski got the head coaching job at Duke University. At Duke, Krzyzewski became one of the greatest college basketball coaches of all time, winning five National Championships and making 13 Final Four appearances. He also served as the head coach for Team USA. He was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2001. He retired in 2022 with the most wins of any College Basketball coach in history with 1,202 wins.
- Birthdate: February 13, 1947
- Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois
- Education: Army
- Net Worth: $45 million
- Occupation: Former Collegiate Basketball Coach
- Height: 5’10”
- Position: Point Guard/Shooting Guard
- Years Active Playing: 4 years
- Years Active Coaching: 49 years
- Career Wins: 1,202 wins
- Career Losses: 368 losses
- Tournament Record: 101-30
- Nicknames: Coach K
- Teams: Army, Duke, Team USA
Mike Krzyzewski’s reported net worth is $45 million. While coaching at Duke, Krzyzewski’s contract was a reported $9.7 million per season, which is likely responsible for a majority of his wealth. Coach K also has numerous endorsements with major companies including Nike, American Express, and even Guitar Hero, although the details of these deals have not been made public.
Mike Krzyzewski is a former American basketball player and coach, who is most known for coaching the Duke Blue Devils from 1980-2022. After high school, Krzyzewski attended the US Military Academy at West Point, New York, where he continued to play basketball. It was at Army where Krzyzewski met his mentor, Bob Knight, who was the coach of the team. Krzyzewski played point guard and shooting guard for the Black Knights. In his senior season, he was named team captain and led the team to an NIT Tournament berth at Madison Square Garden.
Krzyzewski graduated from Army and shortly after transitioned from playing to coaching. He followed his mentor, Bob Knight, to Indiana where he was an assistant before getting the head coaching job at his alma mater, Army. Krzyzewski coached at Army for six seasons and then was offered the job at Duke University. It was at Duke where Krzyzewski became regarded as one of the best college basketball coaches of all time, winning five National Championships and appearing in 13 Final Fours. His 1,202 wins are the most by any coach in NCAA basketball history.
Krzyzewski also was involved in coaching Team USA since 1984, and is known as one of the key factors for their success and dominance in the modern era. He earned three gold medals as head coach in the 2008, 2012, and 2016 Olympics.
Titles and Awards
Below are the most notable titles and awards won by Coach K throughout his career:
- Five-time NCAA Division 1 Tournament Champion (1991, 1992, 2001, 2010, 2015)
- 13 Final Four Appearances (Regional Champions)
- 15-time ACC Tournament Champions
- 13-time ACC Regular Season Champions
- Five-time Olympic Games gold medalist
- Two-time FIBA World Championship gold medalist
- Two-time FIBA World Championship bronze medalist
- Two-time FIBA Americas Championship gold medalist
- Three-time Naismith College Coach of the Year
- 1991 NABC Coach of the Year
- 2004 Clair Bee Coach of the Year
- 1986 UPI Coach of the Year
- Five-time ACC Coach of the Year
- 2001 Basketball Hall of Fame Inductee
- 2006 College Basketball Hall of Fame Inductee
Mike Krzyzewski grew up in Chicago, Illinois, with his Polish-American parents, Emily and William. He attended Catholic school and later attended the US Military Academy at West Point. Krzyzewski married his wife Carol in 1969. The couple had three children, Jamie, Lindy, and Debbie, and he has ten grandchildren. Krzyzewski and his family founded the Emily Krzyzewski Center which is a nonprofit organization connected to Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, in Durham, North Carolina. He also has donated to a variety of charities through his coaching career.
- Mike Krzyzewski played under legendary coach Bob Knight
- Mike Krzyzewski’s 1,202 wins are the most by any Division 1 NCAA basketball coach of all time
- Mike Krzyzewski has won five Olympic gold medals as a coach for Team USA
- Krzyzewski is in both the Basketball Hall of Fame and the College Basketball Hall of Fame
- Krzyzewski was an assistant coach on the 1992 “Dream Team” and the head coach of the 2008 “Redeem Team”
- Krzyzewski won five National Championships with Duke
How many wins does Mike Krzyzewski have?
Mike Krzyzewski has 1,202 wins which is the most wins by any coach in college basketball history. He passed his mentor Bob Knight who previously held the record for the most wins in college basketball history.
Which school did Mike Krzyzewski coach?
Mike Krzyzewski is most known for his time as the head coach of the Duke Blue Devils. Krzyzewski also served as an assistant coach for Indiana and a head coach for Army prior to Duke.
How many National Championships does Mike Krzyzewski have?
Mike Krzyzewski has five National Championships, all as a coach of Duke. These occurred in 1991, 1992, 2001, 2010, and 2015. He is second to only John Wooden in national titles.