How Many Referees In Basketball Games
The officials and referees are responsible for interpreting the rulebook and calling fouls and violations in basketball games. There are also referees that oversee statistics, scores, the game clock and shot clock, and when a player steps out of bounds.
Referee Roles And Responsibilities
Referees have lots of responsibilities in a basketball game.
- check all game equipment (i.e. hoop, ball, backboard, floor)
- check the pressure of the ball between 7.5 pounds and 8.5 pounds
- check player's uniforms and remove illegal equipment
- checking team roster size and the active list
- toss the ball in jump balls
- assign possession of the ball on throw-ins
- giving the ball to the free throw shooter
- calling all fouls and violations
- signaling a dead ball by blowing his whistle
Basketball Crew Chief
The crew chief is the head official and always has final say in a ruling if there is a disagreement between the referees.
A foul is type of a penalty given to a player and team. There are lots of fouls in basketball like flagrant fouls, personal fouls, technical fouls, team fouls, and player fouls. Referees are responsible for calling fouls when they happen on the court.
You can learn more about fouls in Basketball Fouls.
You can learn more about violations in Basketball Violations.