Pick And Roll
A pick and roll is a type of offensive play in basketball, also known as an on ball screen, that is designed to get a teammate open on the court. In a pick and roll, two players are required to make a screen and a cut.
A screen is a move in basketball where you block the movement of an opposing player with your body without making illegal physical contact. On a screen, the screener gets into position and plants his feet on the floor acting like a wall to prevent the other player from getting through. An effective screen will allow your teammate to get into open areas on the court.
How To Pick And Roll
If you want to master the pick and roll, make sure to follow these steps:
- Decide who will perform the pick (screen) and who will perform the roll (cut).
- Create a signal only you and your teammate knows.
- Wait for your teammate to make the signal.
- If you're making the pick, set the screen on the defender guarding your teammate.
- If you're making the roll, cut towards the basket into open court
Two on Two Pick And Roll
If you're playing a two on two game, the same player that sets the screen can roll towards the basket to catch a pass from the dribbler. Follow these steps to master the pick and roll in when playing 2-on-2 pickup: