Top 10 MLB Baseball Players
Who are the most popular current Mlb baseball players?
1. Mike Trout
Mike Trout is unanimously considered the best player in baseball among professional analysts. Trout is an exceptional hitter and an outstanding fielder who hustles hard during every single play. He is an outfielder for the Los Angeles Angels and won the American League Most Valuable Player Award for the 2019 season.
In 2019, Mike Trout hit a career high 45 home runs while only playing in 134 of the 162 game season. In addition to being the MVP, Trout was selected by fellow major leaguers to win the Players Choice Award: Player of the Year. Trout is in the prime of his career at 28 years old and has a bright and long future ahead. Before the 2019 season, Trout signed the most lucrative contract in sports history (at the time) with his team, the Angels, for 12 years and $430 million dollars.
2. Cody Bellinger
Cody Bellinger is an outstanding outfielder for the Los Angeles Dodgers with incredibly high superstar potential. Bellinger is entering the 4th year of his career in 2020 following his National League MVP performance in 2019. He also led the MLB with a 9.0 WAR during the 2019 season.
Bellinger had an exceptional start to his career by winning the 2017 National League Rookie of the Year Award, but his stats slumped during his sophomore campaign. His performance in 2018 caused most analysts to question his superstar potential, but Bellinger proved all doubters wrong in his third year by winning the Silver Slugger and Gold Glove awards in addition to the MVP. Silver Sluggers awards are given to the best offensive player and Gold Gloves are given to the best defensive player at each position, meaning Cody Bellinger is an elite outfielder at hitting and fielding.
3. Christian Yelich
Christian Yelich plays as an outfielder for the Milwaukee Brewers, and has been one of the most dominant players in baseball the past two seasons. Yelich was awarded the National League MVP trophy in 2018 and was the runner up in 2019. Also, Yelich has won the Silver Slugger award the past two seasons, and has posted a batting average of .327 during that time span.
Yelich has a unique combination of speed and power which makes him a top athlete in the major leagues. During 2019, Yelich hit 44 home runs and stole for 30 bases while only playing in 130 games. In addition to exceptional hitting, Yelich also has a great eye at the plate. He led the majors in on base percentage in 2019. As a hitter, Yelich puts immense pressure on pitchers because he understands the strike zone well.
4. Jacob deGrom
Jacob deGrom is a starting pitcher for the New York Mets, and is arguably the best pitcher in baseball. For the past two seasons, deGrom has won back to back National League Cy Young Awards. deGrom's 2018 season was remarkable. He had an ERA of 1.70. At 32 years of age, deGrom has been in the majors for 6 seasons. He was voted the National League Rookie of the year in 2014. The following year, deGrom was selected to his first All-Star game. deGrom pitched for only one inning, but managed to strike out the 3 batters he faced while only throwing 10 pitches during the entire inning.
DeGrom is one of the most effective pitchers in baseball because he commands the strike zone well. He has a high velocity fastball with great location and breaking pitches that have incredible movement. deGrom's ability to throw strikes allows him to keep a low pitch count and pitch deeper into games.
5. Gerrit Cole
Gerrit Cole is a starting pitcher for the New York Yankees, and he is considered the best starter in the American League. The Yankees signed Cole to a nine year deal following the 2019 season. Upon entering the league in 2013, Gerrit Cole played for five seasons with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Cole's 2015 campaign was one of the best years of his career, but he started to slump the next two seasons, causing Pittsburgh to trade Cole to the Houston Astros.
Gerrit Cole found his rhythm again in Houston and he has been one of the most dominant pitchers in the league during the past two years. Cole helped lead Houston to the World Series in 2019. The Yankees have high expectations for Gerrit Cole entering the 2020 season as the key guy in the starting rotation. Cole had an inconsistent start to his career, but his recent success bodes well for the future.
6. Nolan Arenado
Nolan Arenado plays third base for the Colorado Rockies. Arenado is one of the best overall players in the game. Defensively, Arenado has won the Gold Glove Award every year since he entered the league in 2013. In addition, he has won the Silver Slugger Award in 4 of the past 5 seasons. He finished the 2019 season top 10 in the majors in batting average, home runs and runs batted in.
Nolan Arenado is a powerful hitter and has an immensely strong arm. He has been selected to the All-Star game five different times. Arenado also is one of the most consistent players in the league. He has remained healthy during his career and has played in more than 150 games for the past 5 seasons. In the prime of his career, the 29-year-old still has an incredible future.
7. Anthony Rendon
Anthony Rendon is a third baseman for the Los Angeles Angels. Last season, with the Washington Nationals, Rendon led his team to the franchise's first ever World Series victory. Since 2016, Rendon's batting average has increased every year. In 2019, his .319 batting average was ranked fifth in the major leagues. In addition, he led the MLB with 126 Runs Batted In. Rendon won the Silver Slugger award last season, beating out Nolan Arenado for the honor.
Rendon is one of the best hitters in the league and proved he could play under pressure by his outstanding postseason performance this past season. At 30 years of age, Rendon has spent his entire career with the Washington Nationals, so it will be compelling to see how he performs with his new team in 2020.
8. Max Scherzer
Max Scherzer has been a top pitcher in the major leagues for the past decade. During that time he has won 3 Cy Young Awards while playing for two different ball clubs. He became a star pitcher with the Detroit Tigers and won his first Cy Young in 2013. In 2015, he began his tenure with the Washington Nationals, and he has posted an Earned Run Average under 3.00 for the past five seasons with the team. In the 2019 season, he and Anthony Rendon helped lead the Nationals to a World Series victory.
Scherzer strikes out batters at an incredible rate. His pitches have ridiculous movement that deceives batters. Scherzer also has great control of his pitches and is efficient on the mound. Not to mention that Scherzer has two different colored eyes, making him one of the most recognizable players in the sport.
9. Mookie Betts
Mookie Betts is an outfielder for the Los Angeles Dodgers and is an electric player offensively and defensively. The past 4 seasons, Betts has been awarded the Gold Glove award and also won three Silver Slugger awards. In 2018, Betts had the greatest single season performance of his young career. Betts finished the year with a batting average of .346 and was chosen as the American League Most Valuable Player. In addition, his team at the time, the Boston Red Sox, went on to win the World Series.
Mookie Betts has elite speed, which contributes to his amazing defense and excellent base running skills. Following the 2019 season, Mookie Betts was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers, where he will play alongside Cody Bellinger. He will be a free agent once the 2020 season ends, and the 27 year old has the ability to land a lucrative deal.
10. Bryce Harper
Bryce Harper is one of the most popular players in Major League Baseball. Harper entered the league as a teenager with his previous team the Washington Nationals. Harper then won the National League Rookie of the Year Award that same season. In 2015, Harper won the National League Most Valuable Player trophy. In recent seasons, Harper's statistics have been down compared to his MVP year, but at 27 years of age he still has room for growth. Due to his potential, Harper's current team, the Philadelphia Phillies, awarded him a 13-year contract worth $330 million dollars in 2019.
Harper is a feared hitter in the league because of his power and poise at the plate. He also is an above average outfielder with an exceptional arm. Harper has been a phenom since a teenager and still has the majority of his career ahead.
Which players won the Most Valuable Player (MVP) Award in 2019?
- American League: Mike Trout won the MVP award for the third time in his career. Trout has also finished runner-up in the MVP voting 4 different times throughout the past 7 years. In 2019, Trout led the American League in on-base and slugging percentage.
- National League: Cody Bellinger was named MVP for the 2019 season. In this season, Bellinger established a new career high with 170 hits and 47 home runs. Bellinger also won a Silver Slugger and Gold Glove award in addition to league MVP.
Which players won the CY Young Award in 2019?
- American League: Justin Verlander won his second Cy Young Award for the 2019 season. Verlander is a seasoned veteran who had a career high 300 strikeouts in 2019. He also led the league with 21 wins.
- National League: Jacob deGrom won his second consecutive Cy Young Award in the 2019 season. deGrom led the National League with 255 strikeouts and posted a 2.43 Earned Run Average. Amazingly, he only had 10 wins during the 2019 season despite his excellent pitching performances.
Which players won the Rookie of the Year Award in 2019?
- American League: Yordan Alvarez was selected as the American League Rookie of the Year even though he did not play a full season in the majors. However, Alvarez still managed to have a .313 batting average and hit 27 home runs while playing little over half a season. Alvarez will be 23 years old entering next season.
- National League: Pete Alonso was selected the National League Rookie of the Year after leading the MLB in home runs with 53. Alonso set a new single season record for the most home runs hit by a rookie. Plus, Alonso was selected as an All-Star and won the 2019 Home Run Derby.
Which manager won Manager of the Year Award in 2019?
- American League: Rocco Baldelli was selected American League Manager of the Year during his first season as manager. Despite being a rookie manager, Baldelli guided the Twins to an AL Central title. The Twins finished the 2019 season 23 games better than the previous year thanks to Baldelli's leadership.
- National League: Mike Shildt, in his first full season with the Cardinals, managed to win National League Manager of the Year for his accomplishments. Shildt led the Cardinals to the postseason while securing the NL Central title. In addition, the Cardinals advanced to the National League Championship Series in 2019.